FIRST® programs (K-12) support educators by engaging students in STEM learning and preparing them for the future through hands-on fun while cleverly helping kids transfer classroom concepts to real-world applications.
Click to enlarge
FIRST Programs are Relevant in Schools
- Ignite a passion for learning, both inside and outside the classroom by making it relevant and fun.
- Excite students in STEM activities through robust robotics programs.
- Provide opportunities for students to learn classroom competencies through project-based challenges and student directed problem based learning.
- Expose students to new interests.
- Teach coding and the scientific method through hands-on projects.
- Apply math and science to real-world problems.
- Teach the engineering and design process through mechanical design and build.
- Cultivate 21st century work-life skills.
- Integrate innovative skill building and strategic thinking.
- Encourage Gracious Professionalism®, a way of doing things that encourages high-quality work, emphasizes the value of others, and respects individuals and the community.
- Create a community of collaborative problem-solvers.
- Inspire students to be life-long learners.
Click to enlarge
FIRST Programs Meet Standards
FIRST has completed an external analysis and mapping of all FIRST Programs to 3 sets of educational standards: Common Core State Standards, Next Generation Science Standards and 21st Century Learning Skills. All FIRST programs cover over 90% of the Science and Engineering Practices and the Crosscutting Concepts in the Next Generation Science Standards.
Implement FIRST Programs in your school
Whether you are implementing FIRST programs during the school day or after school, we provide many resources and curriculum to minimize the amount of preparation you must do as a coach.
- FIRST LEGO League Jr.
- A Team Meeting Guide is included with every team registration to walk a coach or teacher through every step of running a FIRST LEGO League Jr. team.
- FIRST LEGO League provides two resources to help coaches manage their teams.
- FIRST Tech Challenge
- FIRST Class is a curriculum that provides authentic, real-world learning to students by bringing FIRST Tech Challenge into the classroom.
- FIRST Robotics Competition provides steps for starting a team and a mentor manual to help coaches manage their teams.
FIRST in your Area
FIRST works through regional partners around the world to implement FIRST programs. Your area has a regional partner who would be happy to answer any questions you have about your local FIRST program. Find your regional partner here.
Once you experience a FIRST event you’ll be hooked! Locate a local competition and go see for yourself.