The really cool thing about FIRST LEGO League is…all skill levels are welcomed and needed, technical or non-technical. Read more about resources, time frame, commitment, and skills required.
What does every FIRST LEGO League team need?
- 2 or more adult Coaches willing and motivated to guide the team through the discovery and competition season (and beyond) – no special technical experience is required
- Up to 10 students ages 9 to 14 (ages vary by country) willing to put in time and to do any job the team needs to succeed (lots of important jobs available for all skill levels and interests)
- A suitable meeting place, either public or private, that can accommodate a 4 x 8-foot playing field table, and has internet access
- A standard Field Setup Kit and a common set of rules issued by FIRST and LEGO
- A paid team registration, official team number, and a LEGO MINDSTORMS robot set
- The desire to learn, explore, strategize, build comradery, share ideas and talents, make new friends, be accepted, and HAVE FUN!
When does FIRST LEGO League happen?
The FIRST LEGO League season challenge information is released in late August. Teams generally form and register from May through October. The Project and build season runs from September to early February, when tournament season begins. Tournaments help determine which teams will earn spots at FIRST LEGO League World Festival in St. Louis at the end of April. There are also many off-season events in which teams can participate, strategize, hone their skills, learn new technology, meet other teams, and have fun!
What is the time commitment?
As a Coach or adult Volunteer, you should be meeting with your team once per week during the build and competition season (September - April). Many mature teams also meet throughout the school year, and some compete in off-season events during the summer. You, your family, and your available free time can decide together how much time you can devote to the program.
As a team member, the same applies. Be prepared to meet once per week from Mid-September through March. Like any sport or club, the more time you invest in helping your team will add to your team’s success.
Any special skills required?
The really cool thing about FIRST LEGO League is…all skill levels are welcomed and needed, technical or non-technical. Teams need all kinds of skills and creativity to succeed, so what are you good at? Chances are we have a job for you. And we’ll probably teach you a few new ones while you’re with us.
The most successful team Coaches are people with at least an interest in science and technology, and in helping kids discover and learn. But we can’t emphasize enough that no special technical skills are required. Anyone who wants to be a Coach will receive all the training and help they need.
Student team members are encouraged to bring any skills or interests they already have, but most importantly a desire to learn and solve problems as a team. FIRST LEGO League welcomes every student, with or without special skills. Like our Coaches say, “This is the only sport where if you show up, you can play.”