The Robot Inspector volunteer role for the FIRST Robotics Competition performs mandatory robot inspections and weigh-ins to ensure compliance with robot construction rules. Determine inspection outcome decisions (pass/fail). May perform random inspections. Work under the directions of the Lead Robot Inspector. Provide general technical support for teams by helping to resolve issues with their robots. This is a physically active role.
*Must sign a Conflict of Interest and Disclosure Form prior to start of service.
- Perform robot inspections and weigh-ins
- Complete inspection paperwork
- Participate in deliberations regarding inspection decision issues
- Assist with breakdown of robot inspection/weigh-in areas
Experience and Skills Needed
- FIRST experience not required; team experience preferred
- Mechanical aptitude required
- Ability to follow and enforce electrical wiring diagrams
- Ability to follow and enforce pneumatics diagrams
- Strong interpersonal/communication skills
- Ability to collaborate with others
- Ability to move about the facility
- Ability to stand up for long periods of time
- Strong assessment skills
- Ability to work as a member of a team
- Pass Robot Inspector test
- Commitment: Minimum two days + training
- Approximate times:
|Practice Day (day before the competition)||8am - End of Day|
|Day One of Competition||8am - End of Day|
|Day Two of Competition||8am - End of Day|
Note: Event schedules vary. Please check the event schedule and talk to your Volunteer Coordinator for detailed information on when you are expected to arrive. Volunteers should arrive 15-20 minutes prior to start of every shift in order to allow time to check in at the Volunteer Registration table.
Lead Robot Inspector conducts training onsite and provides guidance during the competition.
Reporting Relationships and Supervision
Direct supervision: Lead Robot Inspector
On-site guidance: Volunteer Coordinator
*Please Note: some events will conduct a pre-event evening Volunteer Orientation and Training