6th Annual U.S. Air Force / FIRST Leadership Experience for FIRST Teachers & Mentors
The U.S. Air Force develops leaders of remarkable character and vision. For the 6th year, the U.S. Air Force is offering an unique three-day leadership program providing FIRST mentors with hands on leadership training taught by Air Force personnel.
Throughout the three-day experience, mentors will attend lectures, take part in team building exercises, and tour the Air Force Academy and a local Air Force Base. The Air Force will select a group of 24 teachers and mentors from FIRST Tech Challenge and FIRST Robotics Competition teams who are helping inspire today’s youth to become the technical leaders of tomorrow.
Apply Now to be a part of this exclusive leadership experience.
When: July 23 – 27, 2017; Dates could be subject to change based on Air Force operational missions/priorities.
Where: Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs and an Air Force Base in the Colorado Springs area.
The USAF/FIRST Leadership Experience is at no cost to the 24 selected teachers/mentors. All travel costs within the continental United States (airfare, lodging, meals) are paid by the U.S. Air Force.
*Please note the workshop dates will most likely have one travel day before and one travel day after the 3-day seminar.*
Who is eligible:
- FIRST Tech Challenge and FIRST Robotics Competition mentors who are K-12 teachers who live within the continental United States.
- Must be willing to commit to the full workshop.
- Must be able to travel to the event from within the U.S.
- Must not have participated in this leadership experience in previous years.
- Must not have involvement or affiliation with other military branches.
How to apply:
- Complete the online application form.
- Applications must be submitted by May 20, 2017.
- As part of your application, you will have the opportunity to describe in 300 words or less how you have found a better way to get students excited about science and technology, and what innovative techniques you use to help kids learn and stay motivated.
- A selection committee from FIRST will review all applications and select the mentors who will receive an invitation to attend the USAF/FIRST Leadership Experience.
- Chosen applicants will be named by June 1, 2017.
- A GSD&M representative will contact chosen applicants on behalf of the U.S. Air Force.
July 23th - Travel to Colorado Springs for all mentors
July 24th - Leadership Experience
July 25th - Leadership Experience
July 26th - Leadership Experience
July 27th - Travel home for all mentors
Disclaimer: The Department of Defense is undergoing budgetary reviews that may require the Air Force to cancel this event at a moment’s notice. It is the Air Force’s intent to hold this event unless directed to cease all actions due to sequestration. The Air Force believes this event is worthwhile and provides long-term benefits that help develop future leaders. If the event is canceled, you will be notified immediately.